By Joe Reader
Clients that come to us for startup advice have often spent a long time developing a comprehensive marketing strategy. This is often one step ahead of where they need to be focusing. What they should be doing is thinking about how they can build up credibility, cheaply and quickly.
Why do we need to demonstrate our credibility? Because we need to convince people that we can deliver on our promise to provide them with a particular product or service. We need to ensure that customers will choose us over other, potentially more credible providers. And we need to continue to demonstrate our credibility to retain customers over the long term and get our customers to personally recommend us to others.
Becoming credible is becoming cheaper and entrepreneurs can do it all from the comfort of their living room, with a laptop computer. The starting point is to try out what you do in a small way first to test the market. If you want to start your own cake shop, try out your cakes on family and friends first. Get their thoughts and continue to improve your product. In the mean time, here are 7 of my top tips to help you build your credibility, on a shoestring:
- Get customers to do video or written testimonials at every opportunity and post the best on Youtube.
- Do a video diary and set up your own Youtube channel.
- Connect with those who are already successful and get them to review your product. Feed off their credibility by association
- Set up a Facebook page and regularly post updates about new products and offers.
- Form strategic partnerships with other organisations to cross promote your products, e.g. a local coffee shop or tea shop.
- Ensure that you broadcast a consistent message about you and your product so that people know what to expect. You will build a reputation for quality and consistency.
- Write a blog that demonstrates your knowledge or passion for what you do.